3.19.2005

Debbie's Bike Poem

today

i felt like

once again

i am learning to ride a bicycle

that has square wheels

and everyone who is teaching me to ride

only knows how to ride a bicycle

with round wheels

and they are so frustrated

that i am not doing it right

but my bike is different

and the square wheels

will never be round

and the people who have

round-tired bikes

will never ever

ride a bike with square wheels

they all pedal off

round wheels are so much faster you know

and i kick off with my feet

but to balance

on those square wheels

is hard

and if i stop pedaling

i fall off

and the round-wheelers are too far away

to get me out from under my bike

and so i go around and around

in a circle

not sure who can teach me how to

make my square-wheeled bike move forward

but waiting

patiently

because at least i have a bike

--Debbie Fries

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home